Friday, March 27, 2009

Take Two: Amos 3, Proverbs 27

Having concluded the opening discourse of God's judgment, the prophet moves to explain the "why" of God's judgment against His people. When I was a child and my dad would punish me, the "talk" before the spanking was the worst! He would say to me, "I am doing this because I love you." In other words, because we have this special relationship (father/son) I am going to punish you. I used to think, "love me less!"

Amos 3:1-2 gives the basis for what is coming. Listen to the prophesy against God's people...those whom He rescued/chose for His own and delivered from the Egyptians. Amos 3:2, I chose you and no one else, therefore I will visit your sins upon you...or better: since I have chosen you above all others, I will punish your sins and bring the effects of your sin upon you.

God asserts His sovereignty here. He reminds the people that He alone chose them for His own purpose. He chose them alone as His people. He took them from out of Egypt (which did not fit into the Egyptians long range plan) because He alone chose to. He alone chose the covenant for their relationship...so He alone would punish their sin. It is key to remember that God is not claiming for Himself some new authority here. He was and always will be Sovereign. This is not news to us or to Israel. God is...period. He is now announcing that He will act within His sovereign bounds to right that which is wrong and punish the transgressions of His people who have "presumed" upon God's grace and forsaken His covenant.

Amos 3:3-6 contains 7 questions which are a rhetorical (speech) device. The answers are implied in the questions. The common thread with all of the questions is the CAUSE-EFFECT relationship. The questions are sufficient if taken only proverbially...but there is cause to see God and Israel in each of the questions as well. The purpose of the first six questions is to gain the agreement of the audience and then connect the dots to the prophet's assertion: "If we (the city) are under a calamity...did not God cause it?" Whatever judgment coming against Israel will be the direct and explicit outworking of God's will. He would use actions to accomplish it (as He did in Egypt) but He is the One responsible.

That may be a hard word for you to grasp...it is to me. At the same time though...it is hard for me to punish my children. I do not enjoy it...but if I do not address their shortcomings/sin/ failures...how will they know how to view them? No one but me (as their father) can address them...because like God with Israel...I have the special relationship.

Like me with my father, and my children with me...it is difficult to appreciate (in the midst of punishment) the heart behind the action. I never sought out my dad's punishment. I did not appreciate receiving the punishment. I only look back and am thankful for his actions (without consensus with me at the time), through which he sought my best interest.

Amos 3:7 connects the Cause-Effect relationship idea with the pronouncement to come. It simply notes that God wants the people to know what is coming and why...so He is pre-disclosing His intentions through the prophet. The prophet's message should be heeded, because it is a message from the Sovereign God who acts.

Amos 3:8, as the lion's roar struck fear in the animal, so the Word of the Lord should strike fear in His people. The Lion has roared...and God has spoken.

Amos 3:9-10 is the imagery of a legal proceeding. Bring witnesses from among the pagan nations. They do not know how to even do "right." They hoard up possessions in their citadels and treasuries. Amos 3:11 states that the enemy surrounding Israel will be used (by the Sovereign God) to tear down Israel's citadels and loot them. Remember from Chapter 1 that Israel was experiencing prosperity and a corresponding decline in authentic worship/morality.

Amos 3:12-15 uses the imagery, not of a legal proceeding, but of a shepherd. If a predator came in and killed a sheep, the shepherd had to produce evidence (pieces) or reimburse the owner for the missing animal. So, the imagery used indicates the total destruction of Israel...with only an evidence of their former existence. (Think REMNANT). God's judgment will begin with the altars of Bethel (due to the false worship taking place there) and would continue in affecting every area of Israel's lives and possessions...including summer and winter houses. No aspect of their lives shall escape God's judgment.

More imagery to come...tomorrow.

Proverbs 27:20 is the takeaway today. Neither death, nor hell are ever satisfied. They continually seek more. They do not reach capacity. Such is also the longing for man. I have never met a man who was "by nature" satisfied with what he possessed. I have met a few who are content and had disciplined themselves to restrain from continual pursuit of possessions...but it required discipline. We never come to the place where we are satisfied with what we have...so do not fall for the lie, "If I get this...then I will be content." It is not true. Contentment does not come with accumulation, only with choosing to be satisfied with what one already possesses. This usually corresponds with a thankful heart.

1 comment:

kamatu said...

Father/child has for me long summed up the relationship between God and man. So many "objections" to the Bible and Christianity simply disappear when one remembers that it is Father to child.

Compare:
"Why did God do it (whatever "it" is) that way? It doesn't make any sense!"

"Why does Daddy have to go to work? Why can't he stay and play with me?!"

Unable to comprehend the "adult" world, the "child" tries to use his own reasoning and since the "child" lacks the full picture of the "adult" world, the "child" is just whining.