Friday, March 20, 2009

Take Two: Hebrews 9, Proverbs 20

The writer continues the discussion on why the New Covenant is superior to the Old Covenant. He begins by pointing out that there were two parts to the tabernacle/temple structure (Heb 9:1-5). There was the Holy place where the priests ministered...and there was the Holy of holies where only the High Priest ministered. This is analogous to the fact that the priests ministered under the Old Covenant while only Jesus ministered under the New Covenant.

This is necessary, as the writer's argument goes, since the Old Covenant could not cleanse a person's conscience (Heb 9:9). The ongoing requirement to offer again sacrifices at the temple reminded the worshipper that their "work" was never done under the Old Covenant.

Heb 9:11-14 then shifts and explains that Christ, however, finished the work and made the "perfect/cleansed" conscience possible. Because of this, there would never be a reason to return from the "perfect" to the imperfection of the Old Covenant (Heb 9:15-22). This new and perfect covenant is made possible as with all covenants...through the shedding of blood. Under both the Old and New Covenants, blood must be shed as an offering for forgiveness of sin (Heb 9:22), however there is a difference. Under the Old Covenant, there was the need for continual/ ongoiing sacrifices to be made in the temple/tabernacle. It is not that the blood sacrifices ACTUALLY saved. To the contrary...the act of sacrificing by faith was the response to God that saved. The sacrifices, like the temple/tabernacle were types/copies the "perfect" which was to come.

(CHEW ON THAT FOR A MINUTE)

The obedient response to God, by faith, in dealing with sin as God required was the act that unlocked Salvation. That is a major theological point and is exactly what the writer wants the reader to grasp. Obedience to the Old Covenant was fine under the Old Covenant...but once the New Covenant comes, it is just disobedience. As one person said, "Delayed Obedience is simply Disobedience." Trust in disobedient worship is no different as far as its "efficacy" (ability to accomplish the work) than trusting in some more flagrantly sinful philosophy. Once one knows what to do...substituting anything for obedience is an "in your face" afront to God!

Let's apply that:
  • God wants me to serve Him as a missionary but I choose to teach Sunday School instead. It is SIN.
  • God wants me to teach my children to love Him, but I feel inept and send them to Christian School or Bible College instead...it is SIN.
  • God wants me to tithe my income, but I give it to save starving whales off the coast of Alaska (or buy a nicer car, take a family vacation, or put extra gas in the fuel tank)...it is SIN.
  • Anything...no matter how good it is, that is not what God has prescribed for us to do...is sin.
There is only one righteous response to God...it is the response that mirrors Jesus' conduct. We are to give our lives to God and live as He would have us to...regardless of our view/perception/ or beliefs on the subject. Only then can our conscience be perfected and God be truly glorified and enjoyed.

Proverbs 20:4 is the takeaway today. This hit me for two reasons. We live in a culture today when a person's "desires" are accentuated to the point that we are somewhat hedonistic (focused on personal pleasure) above all else. We say to a person who wants to work at McDonalds and can't feed their family..."it is ok. Do what you think is best/want to do." This is not so. There is a level of responsibility that is required of every person. To shirk that responsibility...is to find oneself in "need" and simply suffer by going without (often causing the suffering of others under one's care as well). There is no obligation on the part of those who "have"...to prop up those who "have not"...by choice or dereliction of duty.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was an incredible thought for me, I am on fire and ready for church but today is not Sunday. I may reread it on Sunday morning. I guess I knew about the Old Covenant scarfices not 'saving' you but really I always put that together since Jesus was the 'saving' sacrifice for me. So, just an act of obedience and then when they died they went to Abraham's bosom and waited for the Savior? So if I am right, then would it be said that under the Old Covenant they were saved by works and faith?
The application of sin is harsh but I would definantly say it is harsh reality. I have never thought about my disobedience in such a raw way but indeed it makes since and OUCH. Crazy how our intentions never really look like that when we are doing it or saying it to God. I always seem to justify my sin to God, which never really seems to work when God turns it around and shows me my sin I can always see where God had shown me a different path, had I only listened and obeyed. I am going to put this on my index cards as a reminder... Good word today. :)

Chris said...

Amanda,

Good post. People in the OT era were saved the same way you are...only with less information. They "believed" God and acted on it. They believed in God's Messiah. The hoped in His coming. They acted like "God's followers." The main difference for you and me is that we know the Messiah's Name and exactly how He provided Salvation.

OT Saints were not saved by faith and works; rather, they were saved by genuine faith/belief which always leads to acting (works) consistent with thatbelief. Not really any different for you and me.

Yes, the application of SIN is pretty steep. The good thing and key thing to remember is this. God is not standing over us with a disappointed look on His face as He writes down all of our sins on His clipboard. He looking as a parent looks at a child who is making a mistake which will hurt the child. He is lloking as a parent looks at a child who does not trust him/her. He is looking at a child who is choosing to sleep on the floor rather than in his/her own comfortable bed...simply becuase the child doesn't believe and act according to the belief.

Thanks for posting!