Saturday, April 04, 2009

Take Two: Amos 9, Proverbs 4

Amos 9 is the final chapter. As has been the case to this point, the prophet, speaking for God, states that God will destroy the sinful people among the Kingdom (Amos 9:10). God is Sovereign and is responsible for all that is coming their way. He will use every nation and every circumstance as an instrument of His will and His wrath...to root out the sinful independence and arrogance of His people.

Amos 9:1-4 gives a number of scenarios where the people might seem out of reach of God's wrath. In each case, God deals with them where they are. He is to be feared because the people, to this point, have spurned Him and rejected His leadership in their lives. Amos 9:5-6 speaks to God's ultimate power and the enormity of His sovereignty. Nothing is beyond Him or exceeds Him.

Amos 9:7-10 restates that the people, because of their actions, have estranged themselves from God...not the other way around. Their sin has caused/prompted God to treat them as a people that are not His own.

I find it interesting that even in the midst of the rebellion of the people, God does not forsake them. He judges them and punishes them...but He never loses track of them. He never forgets them or takes His eye off of them. Yes...it is a dangerous thing to sin under the watchful eye of God; however, it is a comforting thing to know that no circumstance occurs that is beyond the watchful eye of God. Nothing that happens in your life escapes His notice...for good or bad.

Amos 9:11-15 gives the prophesy of restoration. After the judgment...the people will be restored...not by their own efforts but by God. They will again possess honor, dignity, provision, and blessing. God is not opposed to blesing His people. God is opposed to His people trusting in the BLESSING rather than the One who BLESSES! When they are established again...this time by God...they will never be rooted out or lose their status. It seems that this is a reference to the Millenial Kingdom of Christ (Amos 9:15).

Proverbs 4:18 is the takeaway today. As I read this, I saw (for the first time now) that the path of righteousness does not always appear so in the beginning. In fact, it is only as one continues on the path of the righteous that it is illuminated to full day. When we choose God's path and continue on it, it becomes very clear that it is a wise and good path. Even if we cannot fully appreciate this in the beginning...the full day reveals the wisdom of our choice.

Tomorrow we return to a NT study. See you in the book of James.....

1 comment:

Amanda:) said...

Amos was an interesting read for me, it has reminded me how thoughtless we become of God. I was thinking that I am sometimes like a spoiled bratty rich kid that expects everything to be handed to me. And bad things that happen have nothing to do with me. God was trying to warn the people over and over. He gave them chances to become right with Him. They did not believe so God has to do as He promised. He has to punish... God is so good and faithful. I love how in the end He showes his love by restoring everything for His people.
His love continues to amazes me. How He answers my prayers by not answering them. How He knows me better than anyone else and still loves me. How I feel Him all around me, all the time. He is my everything.... WOW! I am in awe of His being!! How can people live without Him... Uncomprehensible.